Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Easiest late night snack--only 2 ingredients.

It's midnight. You want chocolate, a cupcake, anything sweet and delicious. I was about to make cupcakes but honestly, I didn't want to work with 10 ingredients, preheat the oven, get out the mixer, etc. I also didn't want 16 cupcakes...my boyfriend and I weren't going to eat them all.

Two things I love: Chocolate and peanut butter. Mmm mm. Poured a huge chunk of semi-sweet chocolate chips into a saucepan over the lowest heat until it was completely melted and poured it into a baking cup to get the shape of a peanut butter cup. Popped it into the fridge for a half hour until it was hardened but I personally like it to start melting in my mouth so usually you want to leave it in for an hour if you like it completely set. Then I topped it with peanut butter--I personally like chunky but you can obviously use creamy if you want. I could have layered it with more chocolate and stuck it in the fridge longer to have a traditional "peanut butter cup" but I had plenty of chocolate already and I wanted a snack quickly. :) Definitely beats peanut butter on a cracker.

I've also got some bite size chocolate hazelnut truffles in the fridge right now. All I did was take a tablespoon of Nutella, and about a teaspoon of heavy cream and quickly mixed it over low heat. I didn't melt it, I just wanted to get a thick, almost peanut butter like texture and quickly removed it to stick it in the fridge until it was at a colder temperature. Once it was cold, I broke it up and rolled into five little balls and dipped into the thickened and melted mixture of 1 tablespoon of Nutella and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream.

Let me tell you--working with chocolate is really fun. If you haven't tried it, start with something really easy like I did. Just don't burn it. :P

No comments: