Sunday, June 24, 2007

Devil's Sin Nutella Mousse Cake -- It's here!


So, my birthday was yesterday. I spent the night before making my cake but I wasn't sure how it would come out or if anyone would like it--but even by looking at it they were all impressed since I've never really made a cake like this before.

I did cheat though--I used everything prepared. The cake mix was by Pillsbury and I used two boxes of it, the coconut pecan frosting for the layer was store bought, and the Nutella of course came in a jar. But it was still the best cake I've ever had, and all the picky eaters at my birthday party absolutely loved it (even those who didn't like coconut or pecans), thought it was the moistest cake they've ever had, AND went for seconds. So it was a success.

Hopefully there's more left over because after talking about it I'm going to have to go eat some of it. But before I go, here's the recipe. You can definitely substitute the coconut pecan frosting in the middle layer for anything you want...but everyone was addicted to the Nutella mousse I made for the top of the cake--so if you want something delicious DO NOT REPLACE THE MOUSSE. ;)

Before you read the recipe, please keep in mind that I have a lot of respect for people who make their cakes from scratch, however, I have had those cakes plenty of times and this cake came out just as good as any cake I've ever had..if not better. It was decadent, moist, and nobody even believed the cake mix came out of a box. When I told them the only thing I did was put it in the oven and decorate it, they didnt even care. Oh, and I made the mousse..which was the star of the cake. So I can take some credit. If you are against using box cake mixes, feel free to just make your own Devils Cake mix from scratch.

Devil's Sin Nutella Mousse Cake Recipe

2 boxes of Pillsbury Devil's Cake Mix

6 Eggs (3 for each cake mix package)

1 Cup Vegetable Oil (1/2 Cup for each cake mix package)

2 1/2 Cups Water (1 1/4 Cups for each cake mix package)

1 jar of Betty Crocker Coconut Pecan Frosting (if you can't find this at your store, use any that you like or make your own with condensed milk, coconut, and small pecan pieces)

2 jars of Nutella (YES, two jars. Don't worry you'll have a little leftover for another day)

*If you need your cake immediately after, prepare mousse ahead of time. It will need about 4 hours in the refrigerator before it goes onto the cake.*

Nutella Mousse
I recommend you make double the mousse because it's that good. :)

1 Cup Heavy Cream
1/2 Cup of Nutella
1/2 tub of Coolwhip (I used low fat version because it's not for the flavor, it's for the mousse texture)

Beat with electric mixer for a minute or two, then scrape the sides of mixing bowl to make sure all the ingredients are fully incorporated. Begin beating again for another minute or two or until small peaks form. Put in a container and refrigerate for 4 hours or until mousse-like and stiff.

When about to put it onto the cake, gently fold in about half a tub of coolwhip (equal amounts of coolwhip to nutella mousse) little at a time. Softly mix until the color is consistent and slab it onto the cake. :)

The Cake

1. Prepare your cake mixes as directed on box, and bake. That was easy.

2. Let cakes cool. Once cool, take one of the cakes and flip it upside down so the cake-rised side is down. Press down softly to make it more even.

3. Frost it good. ;)

3. Cut the rised side of the other cake off, to make it flat, and then place on top of the other cake making a layer.

4. Make sure your cake is completely cool, then gently and carefully spread Nutella (NOT the mousse, just Nutella in it's natural form) on the top and sides of the cake.

5. Lastly, and then you can eat it, spread a generous amount of mousse on the top (and sides if you want) of the cake.

I hope you enjoy. :)